The cushion cover can be machine washed inside-out. See instructions on the label attached to the inside of the cover.
We do not advise to wash them, but it is possible. Only wash the SmartCells when it is absolutely necessary. Cells can be washed with water and soap, or in a washing machine at a low/moderate temperature. Washing the cells might shorten the life span of the cells.
However: the cells that are used in the Vicair O2 wheelchair cushions can be machine-washed (while they stay inside the cushion) without shortening the life span of the cells. If you are looking for a machine-washable wheelchair cushion, visit the product page of the Vicair Vector O2, Vicair Adjuster O2 or Vicair Active O2.
All Vicair cushions, except the Vicair O2 range cushions and the Liberty cushion range:
• Treat light stains by wiping the inner cushion with a damp cloth, using a mild detergent.
• Difficult spots or stains can be cleaned by first saturating the spot and then using a soft brush to loosen the dirt, or by machine washing the emptied inner cover at 60°.
• If it is necessary to remove the SmartCells™ for cleaning, note the number of cells in each compartment.
Cleaning your Vicair O2 cushion is very easy!
Your Vicair O2 cushion can be machine washed at 60°C using a gentle cycle and mild detergent. You do not need to remove the SmartCells before putting the cushion into the washing machine. Do not use any chlorine bleach and do not dry clean! Do not tumble dry your Vicair O2 cushion but let it air dry (5-6 hours). Please note: when washing the Vicair Active O2, first remove the Foam inlay. The Foam inlay cannot be machine washed.
Cleaning the Vicair Liberty cushions
Wipe the cushion with a damp cloth using a mild detergent. Do not machine wash the cushion and do not immerse in water or any other liquid.
In case of soiling with body fluids, and when transferring the cushion to another user, the cushion must be disinfected to avoid cross contamination.
Clean the inner cushion and the outer cover as described above. When washing the outer cover or O2 cushion, preferably use an anti-bacterial agent.
Spray disinfectant on the cushion cover and the cushion. Bend the compartments outwards to make sure that the spray mist gets into the gaps.
Use our wheelchair cushion select tool to find a wheelchair cushion that fits your needs.
The Vicair cushions - with the exception of the Vicair Liberty cushions - can be used as an addition to a pressure ulcer treatment plan (stage 1,2,3,4).
On the product label you can find its maximum user weight.
In general the maximum user weight is 250 kg.
Please note: Exceptions are:
Vicair Liberty cushions: maximum user weight 150 kg
Vicair Active O2: maximum user weight 200 kg
Vicair AllRounder O2: maximum user weight 100 kg
Vicair XXtra cushion: maximum user weight 500 kg.
Choose a 9 or 10 cm high cushion model:
- Always a better and safer option.
- Creates better immersion and envelopment.
- Ideal in cases where asymmetry is present.
- Greater adjustment possibilities. You can both add and remove SmartCells.
Choose a 6 cm high cushion model:
- When functionality is at stake. F.i. when a person can’t get underneath a table with his legs when he/she would use a 9 or 10 cm high cushion.
- When the user has lower risk of developing pressure injuries.
- Can be used with active users with a custom fit wheelchair without the option to change the height of foot plates, back rest etc.
- Reduced adjustment possibilities. Never remove SmartCells, only add SmartCells.
- To be used in combination with a sling seat. The sling ensures a better adoption of the body contours.
For information about the possibilities, contact your country’s Vicair distributor.
The average life span of a Vicair cushion is three to five years, depending on the use of the cushion.
When you always use the Vicair cushion with the Vicair cover and replace your cushion cover every year, this will positively influence the life span of the Vicair cushion.
We advise you to replace your Vicair cushion cover every year.
There are several types of Vicair covers.
O2 Top Cover
Especially designed for the Vicair O2 range. This cover – similar to a cap – has a breathable outer layer and covers only the top part of the cushion. Leaving the bottom part open, allowing the cushion to continue to breathe and offering optimal ventilation and comfort. The cover is ideal to help
manage one of the main causes of pressure sores.
As the O2 cushions can be completely machine washed, there is usually no need to cover it with a fluid resistant cover. Please note: using another type of Vicair cushion cover on your O2 cushion is possible, but it decreases its breathability and other specific O2 qualities.
This breathable cover is made out of multi-dimensional stretch material, allowing to reduce pressure on bony prominences. The breathable fabric is designed for air transmission and heat dissipation.
There is a high quality incontinence cover available for all Vicair seat cushions. The cover is made out of elastic water- and fluid resistant material, which makes it extremely usable in all situations (institutional and home use) where incontinence and hygiene is an issue.
Air Exchange Cover
Designed to use with the Vicair Liberty Profile. This cover is made of 3D mesh fabric, that makes it extra breathable and comfortable.
Fluid resistant material on one side and cool stretch fabric on the other side. Simply choose the outside of the cover that suits the situation. This cover fits the Vicair Adjuster, Vector and Centre Relief.
Yes, Vicair offers a limited warranty against defects in workmanship and materials for a period of 24 months after the original date of purchase, provided the product has been used normally. Check full Terms & Conditions
The Vicair SmartCells (except for the cells in the Liberty cushions) even have Lifetime Warranty!
No, we only supply SmartCells on a warranty basis.
Yes this is possible, please contact your country’s Vicair distributor.
No, the inner cushion without cells is only available on a warranty basis.
Yes, Vicair Custom Made cushions can be designed together with the Vicair R&D team. Your distributor’s product specialist can help you get in touch with the team.
Because of the SmartCell quantity in each cushion compartment, the cushion’s functionality remains even when a few cells are flat. When in doubt, contact your therapist/dealer or contact Vicair. Our newest SmartCells come with Lifetime Warranty (check conditions).
Watch this short video with the label information
You can find the original number of cells per compartment on the cushion label.
Vicair recommends to install and adjust Vicair wheelchair cushions under the direct supervision of your therapist or dealer.
- Make sure that the wheelchair seat is clean and degreased.
- Remove the protective backing tape from the self-adhesive Velcro strips.
- Place the cushion on the seat of your wheelchair and push it down firmly. Make sure the loop faces down and to the back of your wheelchair. To remove the cushion from the wheelchair seat, simply pull it off the Velcro strips.
- Sit on the cushion for a few minutes, to allow the cushion to adapt to your body shape.
- If necessary, adjust the footrests of your wheelchair. Your feet should just rest on them while your thighs are in full contact with the cushion.
For the specific instructions for your Vicair cushion, you can also check the user manual of your Vicair wheelchair cushion.
You should always use your Vicair cushion in combination with a Vicair cushion cover. However, we do not advise to use two covers on top of each other, as this reduces the functionality of the cushion.
We advise you to check your cushion every three months for wear and deflated cells. In case of serious damage do not continue to use the product. Consult your dealer.
For information about your country’s reimbursement policy toward Vicair cushions, please contact your Vicair distributor.